Saturday, November 6, 2010

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

This was the second book of Ms. Marr's that I read. The first was the sequel to this book. Although, I would have preferred to read them in order, I was able to follow the story line without too much difficulty. I did feel like I was missing some information as I read Ink Exchange, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the story. Ms. Marr's series definitely leans to a darker side of fairy tales. I tend to gravitate towards Cinderella type stories, so this was a detour for me.

In Wicked Lovely, we meet Aislinn, a teenager who, for her whole life, has hidden her ability to see fairies. Her mother died when she was an infant and so she was raised by her grandmother. Aislinn has a circle of friends at school and is attracted to Seth. Seth lives in an old rail car, which offers protection from fairies. Just as Aislinn and Seth start to explore a relationship, she draws the attention of the Summer King. He is a powerful fairy who is the embodiment of summer. He has been searching for his missing Queen for centuries. He thinks Aislinn might be the one, or she might be the next in a long line of mortals who are sacrificed because of his search. Aislinn soon finds herself drawn to both Seth and the Summer King. She is forced to navigate her feelings for both "men" and her emerging importance to the fairy realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment