Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C Hines

This was a great read. It reminded me a bit of playing Zelda or another quest like game. Beautiful women, action and adventure, and some romance. Mr. Hines took my by surprise and I enjoyed the book much more than I thought I would.

Based on the cover, I figured Cinderella and her stepsisters would team up together against some plot or evil doer. This plucky book introduces you to Danielle, or as we know her Cinderella. Yet, Mr. Hines is quick to inform you that the public opinion of Cinderella is not how the story goes. Much like the paparazzi get the story wrong or blow certain aspects out of porportion, Cinderella's true story is nothing like the folk lore. Danielle is eventually introduced to Talia, or Sleeping Beauty. Talia is a fighting expert, her fairy blessings lending themselves as much to dancing as to the graceful movement of the martial arts. Talia, in turn, introduces Danielle to Snow. Snow is indeed Snow White and she is a sorceress. It was her own mother, and not a stepmother, that attempted to murder her. These three young women embark on a rescue adventure that has uncertain outcomes. This was a fun read and I'm looking forward to his next two books. Especially the Red Riding Hood one, since it was alleged that she turned into an assassin.

No comments:

Post a Comment