Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George

I loved Princess of the Midnight Ball and was eagerly awaiting this new book. Cinderella is one of my favorite stories and I have liked all of the cookie cutter versions I have come across. I was expecting the same basic format, young woman of privilege finds herself without resources and burdened with an aquired family that treats her like a servant, finds help from a benevolent fairy, meet the prince, marries the prince and lives happily ever after. You can imagine my confusion when I began to read Princess of Glass and discover that it is actually Poppy from her previous story about the 12 dancing princesses. Okay, I thought to myself, Poppy is just a tie in and will be an observer somehow. However, what ensued on the pages was the most divergent of the Cinderella versions I have ever come across. And, I still liked it. It made me want to read the original fairy tell of the 12 dancing princesses to see how much she diverged from that tale, as well.

Cinderella is not the good little girl that she is made out to be, there are no step sisters, and the fairy godmother isn't everything she appears to be. I, again, thoroughly enjoyed this tale and look forward to Ms. George's creativity. A definite must read for anyone who loves a good fairy tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment