Friday, October 14, 2016

Pointe and Shoot by Alison Stone

Wow! I just finished reading this and it was definitely a good chase. Although I ultimately guessed the answer to Jayne's dilemma, the author placed so many red herrings in the story that I was second guessing myself. So, it was with a sense of relief that one of my original guesses was proved accurate.

Here are the stand out bits for me:
Jayne is Catholic. I read a ton of inspirational fiction and was a little surprised by this fact. I cannot remember the last time I read a story where the characters where Catholic. I appreciated the break from the norm. This being said, the faith aspect of this story, while present, should not be overwhelming for someone who doesn't believe or who has different beliefs.

The victim has a voice in the story and is well-loved by the heroine. This one was hard for me. While I love a good mystery, this book has made me realize that I prefer the victim to be someone unknown to me or someone who wasn't nice. This added a mournful quality to the read for me.

Miss Natalie has early onset Alzheimer's disease. I felt that the author's portrayal of this was respectful. Based on my own experience with a loved one having Parkinson's, I felt that it was an accurate portrayal. The very real struggle of choosing to crush their world by reintroducing a truth they had forgotten or lying to save them unnecessary grief is one I know all too well.


The conclusion was both bitter and sweet. I was so happy that the truth became known but the truth revealed was also very sad. The circumstances surrounding the cause of the victims death were multi-layered and messy. I'm trying really hard not to include any spoilers!

I enjoyed this book and look forward to seeing what else comes from this author. I am really hoping that it involves Jayne finding a balance and the chance to pursue her dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment