Monday, November 13, 2017

Shadow Rise by Audrey Grey


Wow! I just finished reading this book and have two disappointments: the first is that this is again a book 2 and I haven't read book 1 and the second is that I'm going to have to wait for book 3.

This is a great story full of revenge, rebellion and moments of romance. If you liked the Hunger Games series, the Divergent series or the Graceling series, then you are likely to fall in love with the cast of characters from the Shadow Fall series.

Like I mentioned before, this is yet again a story that I am reading in the middle of the series. I was able to read book 2, Shadow Rise, as a stand alone. Mrs. Grey provided enough prior moments from the first book to help me understand the context of the story. And yet, I could tell that I was missing some of the defining moments. I plan on reading the first book to help me catch up and in preparation of her eventual third book. There were moments that would most likely have been heart wrenching for readers of her first book and I escaped some of those as I had not formed previous attachments to the characters.

The central figure of this book is Maia Greystone. She has faced odds that none of us would relish. She was orphaned by the murder of her father and the removal of her mother. She was forced to abandon her younger brother in the hopes of protecting him. She was placed in a trial of some gruesome nature (more details must be in the first book). She was groomed to infiltrate the enemy and assassinate the leader. All the while, she is trying to figure out how to fulfill a promise she made to her father. She has been thrust into a position where she is trusted by neither side in a terrible war.

She must face a former friend, ally and love that seems to either disdain her or does not remember her. She must face her brother, whose view of events differ vastly from hers. She must find a way to save the world through a promise she made to her father.

She is joined by an unlikely crew of rebels: a beautiful young woman, labeled a subversive because she loves another woman; a crippled Lothario, who wants nothing more than to be given a chance to prove he is still able despite his injury; a former friend, who is plagued by an addiction to the drug tar; and others she collects along the way.

Through it all, Maia's strength of character shines through. There are moments when I had hoped she would take the easy way, but I was so glad when she chose the more difficult path of purpose or honor.

This is a great, clean read. There is no profanity and no explicit scenes. The focus is on a strong female character and a cast of unexpected friends. There are sci-fi, revenge, rebellion, fighting, and coming of age elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment